Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Fierce Fairytales: Poems and Stories to Stir Your Soul Review

Happy Wednesday!

 I will be the first person to admit that I am not that big on poetry, however when I was walking down the book aisle in Target one day, I came across this book cover that drew me to it. When I picked up the book and read the description, I knew that this book had to come home with me, so that I could read it. And let me tell you, this was one of the best impulsive buys I have made in a while. Fierce Fairytales: Poems and Stories to Stir Your Soul by Nikita Gill, made me feel so empowered, and made me think about my life, and how I was able to relate to some of the stories.

The description was taken from the Goodreads website:

 "Poet, writer, and Instagram sensation Nikita Gill returns with a collection of fairytales poetically retold for a new generation of women.

Traditional fairytales are rife with cliches and gender stereotypes: beautiful, silent princesses; ugly, jealous, and bitter villainesses; girls who need rescuing; and men who take all the glory.

But in this rousing new prose and poetry collection, Nikita Gill gives Once Upon a Time a much-needed modern makeover. Through her gorgeous re-imagining of fairytale classics and spellbinding original tales, she dismantles the old-fashioned tropes that have been ingrained in our minds. In this book, gone are the docile women and male saviors. Instead, lines blur between heroes and villains. You will meet fearless princesses, a new kind of wolf lurking in the concrete jungle, and an independent Gretel who can bring down monsters on her own.

Complete with beautifully hand-drawn illustrations by Gill herself, Fierce Fairytales is an empowering collection of poems and stories for a new generation."

These stories have strong female and male characters in them that will make you see a lot of Fairytales and the world in general in a new light. The poems and stories do deal with some difficult topics, and will have you thinking about some of the Fairytales you know in a different light. This book will make you think about your life, and will help you find your inner strength to face anything the world may throw at you!

For Example, one of the poems in here that spoke to me was titled "Why Tinkerbell Quit Anger Management", which I have provided below from the book:

"I had to give up on their remedies. They kept trying to make me less angry, but I refuse to surrender my rage. Because whole kingdoms have already spent millennia trying to keep women subdued, only to be discarded in old age. My fury gets things done, it has saved lives, it has made the world listen where I could not speak, my anger has screamed. Think Helen of Troy when they took her freedom. Think the Rani of Jhansi leading rebellions. Think Joan of Arc leading armies on what she dreamed. So now I love my tinderbox heart so easy to light up, all it takes is half a spark. A woman's anger can change the world, I know mine can and this is not a gift I will give away. I am small and I am angry, it is how I channel my energy and I like me that way."

If this moved you in some way or lit a spark inside your soul, than go pick up a copy of this amazing book, because I promise they just keep getting better and better!

Go find your inner light readers!

39088508

Image taken from the Goodreads website.

No comments:

Post a Comment